This small village is a well-known summer resort and starting point for trips to the Šumava mountains (Bohemian Forest). It lies in the Protected Landscape Area Šumava on the right bank of the Vltava river, in the place where Lipno Dam begins, 744 m a.s.l.
It was founded as a settlement for timbermen in the 17th century (the first mention originates from 1686). It was a part of the domain of the castle town Český Krumlov. After the Second World War people were displaced from the village, which is situated near the Czech-Austrian border, and only a few inhabitants stayed here. The importance of the village grew after the completion of the Lipno Dam and new development came after 1989, when the borderland was open to the public.
The typical architecture of the Šumava mountains - the reconstructed original houses with the small bell towers - can be seen there.
Nová Pec is a favourite starting point for trips to Plešné Jezero (Plešné Lake), Schwarzenberský Kanál (Schwarzenbergs' Canal) and the instructive trail Medvědí Stezka (Bear Path).