The small town Chvalšiny is situated about 9 km north-west of the town Český Krumlov in the nice countryside below the Protected Landscape Area Blanský Les (Blansko Forest), 673 m a.s.l.
The first mention of Chvalšiny dates back to 1263. King Premysl Ottakar II dedicated the town to the ownership of the new monastery Zlatá Koruna. After the Hussite Wars the town became property of the Rožmberks.
The most important sight in Chvalšiny is the Church of St. Mary Magdalen. The Late-Gothic building was founded between 1487 - 1507 and its nave is arched with the notable tracery vault and the presbytery is arched with the lierne vault. The furnishings in the church are mostly in the Baroque style.
Josef Rosenauer, the designer and builder of the Schwarzenberský Kanál (Schwarzenbergs' Canal), was born in Chvalšiny.
The chateau Červený Dvůr ("Red Yard") with a large park and instructional trail lie about 2 km south-east of Chvalšiny.