The small town Mirotice is located on the Lomnice river about 14 km north-west of the town Písek, 412 m a.s.l.
Mirotice used to be a member of the Royal Chamber. After the Hussite Wars it became property of the Zvíkov castle. In the 16th century the town obtained the coat-of-arms. In 1575 Mirotice burnt down. From 1672 it was a possession of the neighbouring village Cerhonice.
The originally Romanesque St. Gilles' Church from the end of the 12th century, which stands in the town, was rebuilt into the Baroque style at the end of the 17th century. It was last reconstructed in the Neo-Romanesque style in the second half of the 19th century.
One of the best preserved Jewish cemeteries in South Bohemia can be found on the northern outskirts of Mirotice. It was founded in 1861 and it was used till 1946.
The famous Czech painter Mikoláš Aleš was born in Mirotice. The period house with the memorial was built in the place of his house of birth. There is an exhibition of the puppeteer Matěj Kopecký, who also lived in the town.
The small chateau Karlov lies about 4 km east of Mirotice. The Baroque building originates from the first half of the 18th century.
The instructional trail Alšova Stezka (Aleš's Instructional Trail) leads from Mirotice to the small town Čimelice.