The small town Benešov nad Černou is situated at the north-western foot of the Novohradské Hory (Nové Hrady Mountains) on the Černá river, about 10 km east of the town Kaplice, 661 m a.s.l.
The village was founded in the second half of the 13th century by Beneš of Michalovice. The first mention originates in 1332. In 1337 Benešov became a property of the Rožmberks and it was connected with the domain of the town Nové Hrady. In 1383 it became a small town and in 1881 a town. Its name was Německý Benešov (German Benešov). The new name ("Benešov Above the Černá River") comes from 1945.
The Renaissance town hall in the square was rebuilt from the brewery in 1594.
The Gothic Church of St. James the Greater comes from the beginning of the 14th century; it was reconstructed in the Baroque style during the 17th century.
About 6 km long instructive trail Brána Do Novohradských Hor ("The Gate of the Novohradské Hory mountains") leads through the town and surroundings of Benešov nad Černou. The cyclist trail Paměti Slepičích Hor ("Memory of the Slepičí Hory mountains") also passes through the town.