The chateau stands in the town Březnice on the Vlčava river about 17 km north of the town Blatná.
Originally it was a Gothic fortress from the 13th century. It was rebuilt into the chateau in the middle of the 16th century. Later a chapel and a large park were added in the 17th century. The remains of the original fortress are within the chateau walls and there is a thick Gothic fortification around the chateau. In the second half of the 20th century the chateau and the park with two small ponds were reconstructed.
The most important owners of the chateau were the Lords of Buzice, the Lords of Lokšany and the Kolovrat family.
Inside there is a precious Lokšany Bookcase from 1558, a town museum, and a picture gallery of Ludvík Kuba.