The small town Staré Město pod Lanštejnem ("Old Town Below the Landštejn Castle") lies below the ruins of the Landštejn castle, which was one of the largest Romanesque castles in Bohemia. It is situated about 8 km west of the town Slavonice on the Pstruhovec stream, 560 m a.s.l.
The village originates from the 12th century. It used to be a market village, which belonged to the Landštejn castle. In the 15th century it became a town.
The dominant building of the small square is the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary. The Gothic three-aisled basilica was founded at the turn on the 16th century. Later it was reconstructed into the Renaissance and Baroque styles, for the last time in the 19th century. The main Baroque altar from 1723 dominates the interior of the church. The old tombstones can be seen in the church. Some of them belong to the holders of the Landštejn castle, who have been buried here.
The numerous Jewish minority lived in Staré Město. The Jews founded their own cemetery in the 17th century, which can be found on the northern outskirts of the town near the Pstruhovec stream.
The protected area Hadí Vrch (Snaky Hill) lies near the road from Staré Město to the small town Nová Bystřice.