The small town Čkyně lies in the valley of the Volyňka river about 8 km north of the town Vimperk, 550 m a.s.l.
The first mention of the town dates to 1243. It was property of Bedřich of Čkyně. In 1537 it became a small town.
The originally Baroque manor house, standing near the main street, was reconstructed in the second half of the 19th century. Its present appearance originates from that time.
The Church of St. Mary Magdalen was founded on the small hill above the settlement before 1270. It was reconstructed twice - in 1789 and then in the second half of the 19th century.
The Jewish cemetery from the 17th century is situated near the railroad on the southern outskirts of the town.