The village Mnich lies 8 km west of the small town Kamenice nad Lipou, 553 m a.s.l.
The history of the village dates back to the Romanesque period. The Church of St. John the Baptist and the fortress were built here at that time. The church was reconstructed in the Gothic style in the 14th century and in the Baroque style in 1579. The fortress was rebuilt into the Renaissance building in 1588 and from 1768 it was used as rectory.
A memorial of the Slavonic Fraternity is situated on the northern outskirts of Mnich. It reminds of the event at the end of the Second World War - the night on 5th May 1945, when Czech, Yugoslavian and Soviet partisans failed in one battle here and the Nazis killed them.